Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, December 2, 2021

No telling when...

I have no idea when I'll be done with CK. It just expanded itself, a bit, so it doesn't feel so rushed. Initially, I had it take place over 6 days, but now Zeke and Carli want more time together, and the Sheriff wants more time to investigate the murders Carli's committed, and Dax needs more time to plan his counter-attack...and now it's happening over 8 days. So far.

I have to let it play out, which it's doing at its own pace. I'm up well over 54,500 words, and still expect to top out at 60K...and that's fine. When I'm done, it will be my 3rd unfinished novel, not counting the ones I started but have yet to achieve 1st draft.

I've always had a hard time completing things, and this is no different. I have to kick myself into writing, sometimes, because I let myself be easily distracted. And get bored with the process...or lose interest in what I'm working on. I'm way better than I used to be. I now see that hump of You don't really give a shit about this so why keep pushing it? coming and can speed myself up and just roll over it. Slowly sometimes. Barely. But still, getting to the other side happens quite often, now.

It finally did with APoS. I'm reading This Man's Wee Boy to give me a greater awareness of Brendan's life in Derry up to 1972. I have to be careful not to copy anything, but there it is. I have half a dozen other books written by people who lived during that time to read and reread, as well. And notes sent me years ago. The whole 9 yards.

My one issue now is, I really need to be in Derry for a couple weeks so I can read through the Derry Journal and get down things like the weather on particular days, and what movies are playing, and what the prices are...stuff like that. But being broke, that's not exactly in the cards, right now.

I may also be getting surgery to lift my eyelids, which just got approved by my insurance, so I need to find out what my co-pay will be. If it's too much, it ain't happening.

No comments: