Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, December 14, 2021

I am getting CK done by December 20th

No ifs, ands or buts. Carli's joined in with messing with me and I'm not having it. She and Zeke can duke out their competing stories in the back of my brain once I have this draft done. I'm plowing ahead with it. Right now, it's 62,500 words long and I know I'm adding at least another 5000 to bridge into the ending. That's plenty.

If those two aren't careful, I'll shift Eldora, the sheriff, into being Edward and really add some kink to the end. Make him big, buff and beautiful, like this laddie, and have Carli contemplate taking him into her male harem. Which might actually fit the whole attitude of the story. But we'll see how my two leads work things out.

It's going to be a black humor-horror-thriller thing...just what, yet, I have no idea. The tone is on the snarky side and getting snarkier. Goofy, even? I've got one moment where Zeke and his dog, Loki, go into his trailer to search for Rin-Tin-Tin videos on YouTube. Just for the hell of it. FYI, there are lots of them, mainly from the 1950s TV show. Of course, Loki wouldn't be interested in Lassie; he's a doggie dog.

After this is done, I'm taking a break from writing and just doing reading till after the first of the year. I have a lot that needs to be done, in that arena, in preparation for the next draft of A Place of Safety. I'm honing in as much as I can on the ways and mores of Derry, between 1966 and 1972. I have a feeling I'll be doing a serious rewrite, here.

As if I've never done that before.

No comments: