Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Back to the grind...

Did some more reading and taking notes on APoS as well as working up an ad for Instagram, with a similar one for Twitter and Facebook. The only difference between them is I removed the line at the bottom about the link being in my bio; Instagram is difficult when it comes to embedding links to outside sites on your feed images.

This is quick and dirty but efficient. It's posted on Facebook and Instagram, but as I was about to add it to Twitter, word came in bout the school shooting in Uvalde, and that took some of my focus. Eighteen elementary school kids and three adults, as of now, thanks to the NRA helping sow death and chaos in the US.

I've been doing a lot of political commentary on Twitter, regarding Roe v. Wade and Ukraine and the hatefulness of Republicans, so held off with the ad. I posted demands for some form of gun control -- like background checks and prevention of people with mental health issues and a history of violence from being allowed access to guns. It didn't seem right to throw in my self-promotion, too, so I'll post the ad in the next day or two.

I also used my old MacMini to open some documents I couldn't get into on my MacBook Pro. A lot of photos of the Bogside during the Troubles, most shot by Eamon Melaugh. Copies of background information on the region, regarding policing and housing and employment an d the like. Also some early drafts of moments in the story. It's interesting to see how it's developed since 2009...like when Brendan was crossing the Foyle from the Waterside, after curfew, and gets accosted by British troops. In the first draft, it reads a bit cute; in the current one, it's far more dangerous...more threatening. The outcome is the same, but the intensity is ratcheted up.

I need to do some running around, tomorrow, including bringing some boxes back from storage because I need paperwork that's there. Irritating, but the IRS makes demands and one must follow or go to jail.

No comments: