Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, May 16, 2022

More and more...

Jesus, the paperwork is never-ending. I'm 2/3 of the way through this box and found a few things that were useful, including printouts of an email conversation I had with Martin Melaugh, PhD who's heavily involved with CAIN in Northern Ireland. They're a goldmine of information regarding the Troubles and politics of the times. I was hoping to find if he wrote a book about the time, but all I could locate was an anthology of thought pieces on the social attitudes in NI that included one by him. Still ordered a copy. Anything that will help me center APoS properly in that region is desperately wanted.

Since I'll be headed off to Chicago for a couple of packing jobs, day after tomorrow, I'm taking a book with me to read -- War and Peace in Northern Ireland by Eamonn McCann. I've read his War in an Irish Town and some of his other articles, and he's a contemporary of Dr. Melaugh so his viewpoints will be interesting...and, I hope, illuminating.

I also found an old interview I'd torn out of a Playboy Magazine that was with Danny Morrison and Gerry Adams, leaders of Sinn Fein, as well as an unidentified Provo. I know it was from sometime in 1988-89, because it references Adams as being 40 and he was born in 1948. Plus there's the ads for cigarettes and the hair styles of the women.

I'm still thinking about the situation between Brendan's parents, Bernadette and Eamonn, and what that entails. It will help determine what direction some parts of the book will take. I'm leaning into Bernadette disliking Brendan because she cannot affect him in the same ways she affects his father, brother and sister. He's growing closer to being slightly into ADHD, but undiagnosed. Just his actions. But I need to know more about that issue before working it in instead of going for a slight form of autism.

But it's all to make his a bit apart from everyone else, and partly why he has only a few close friends.

No comments: