Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, May 9, 2022

Much to do...

I finished reading part one of APoS and can see several areas where I skated over what was happening. Brendan all but tosses off the confrontation at Magilligan Strand a week before Bloody Sunday. Same for when he starts trying to find out more about his father's life, and the lead-up to him understanding more about his parents' warped relationship is not really grounded, yet.

I think it will help to make sure Brendan's parents, Bernadette and Eamonn, are better established in my head so I can lay tracks for them. Their history is still too obscure. He's also not quite set in his ways, yet, but seems more to meander through the story, in parts, when he should be inhabiting it.  There's also a bit of inconsistency and I used a character name for two different people, so that needs to be addressed. And a bit of repetition happens that I'm not fond of.

I also don't feel much of a build up to the final climax, through the story. There is some...but it's not as compelling as I'd like. As it's worth. I think...hope a lot of this will be handled once I've immersed myself back into the culture and time, via my books. First, I'm going to read the next two parts to remind myself of where it's heading and what needs to be established.

Tomorrow is the official launch of Carli's Kills, in paperback. I'm still waiting for Smashwords to finish their final check of it so it can go into their e-catalogue. I'd love to get reviews on it and have hinted and asked...though not yet begged...for them, but I'm not expecting much. I couldn't get people to review my work even when I gave the books away or where them getting a copy was contingent on them providing a review. It's irritating. I'm hoping this being a MF story, I'll have better luck...but I'm not holding my breath.

I've already had some sales, but I'd like more...a lot more, if possible. I want to pay down my debt and at the rate I'm going, job-wise, that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. Next week is a whirlwind of 3 jobs in DC, Chicago and Iowa City. Lots of running around for not a lot of income. I'm not bitching about it, because this will keep me from having to dip into my savings. but it would be nice to be debt free.

No comments: