Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, May 8, 2022

I'm feeling the need...

There are two writers inside me -- one working on APoS; the other wanting to work up another adult gay coloring book. Sometimes the two of them collide and I'm wary of the work that comes out. I have a moment in APoS, just after the chaotic march on Magilligan Strand, where British paratroopers went nuts attacking the demonstrators to the point they were ignoring orders to cease, and rubber bullets were being fired into the crowd.

Brendan and two of his mates, Danny and Colm, were at the demonstration and Colm's been hurt by one of the rubber bullets. En route home they hit a checkpoint stop so might get arrested but Brendan comes up with a quick excuse for the injury...even as he notices Danny is not just being patted down by a Para, he's all but being molested by the man and is about to freak out.

That's something I wondered about happening while I was going over photos of Irish boys being slammed up against walls, their legs spread apart and hands pushing against the wall as British troops look on. It's the perfect way to cop a feel if you're a closet case. Run hands up and down legs and over asses; grope crotches; looking for weapons and never actually finding any. It just seems too consistently done to better-looking lads for it not to have a deeper meaning.

But it also brings to mind a story I've had knocking about in my head that might work best in narrative form, rather than as a coloring book...but I'm undecided. It's about guys kidnapped by several men and vanishing into the back of a van...to be molested and then used to provide fuel or energy to power an alien space ship. If I did it at the same time I'm working on APoS, I'd call it Demented Dreams: Missing.

I already had the basic idea in a sci-fi/horror screenplay I wrote called We come, about an alien who crash-lands on Earth, hides his craft in a cave and uses a surrogate man to bring him people to use for food and energy enough to send out a distress signal. A group of skateboard kids are targeted by the critter, next, but they fight back.

I guess I'm building a need for another book like Hunter or The Beast in the Nothing Room...

No comments: