Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, May 15, 2022

The joys of paperwork...

OMG, I have so many notes and printouts and articles dealing with APoS, it's close to overwhelming. I went to storage and pulled out a box of stuff I knew was packed with all kinds of stuff -- from copies made of the Derry Journal from January 7, 1969 to interviews with the wives of men murdered by the RUC during the shoot-to-kill phase of the troubles...which actually started up after Brendan's story is done, here...to pages and pages of my scritchy-scratchy handwriting with ideas and possibilities.

A lot of them I've already incorporated into the story, but there were some I'd forgotten. I've started up folders for each section of the book -- Derry, Houston and Return -- and that's helping me keep track. I found I actually had a printed copy of a book I bought...War in an Irish Town by Eamonn McCann, who was a big movers in the Civil Rights Movement...as well as printouts of emails I exchanged with him. It's been so long since I looked at them, I'd forgotten.

I'm building up a need to go spend a week in Derry, again, to dig through the library's archives and haunt the used bookstores there as well as in Belfast. I checked into it and a 10 day stay in mid-September would be around $5,000. Which I ain't got. I mean, I have space enough on a credit card...but the interest rate on that card is now up to 16% and probably will rise more. It's tied to the Fed's rate, and I already have too much on it from my apartment furnishing and eye-surgery, not to mention my long-term semi-employment. Dammit.

Maybe Carli's Kills will take off and bring in enough for me to go. I'd only need to sell about 3000 copies. Yeah, that's gonna happen.

No comments: