Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, October 27, 2023

Halfway

I'm at the point where the Battle of Bogside is about to begin, and it's also where that PC started fucking up my formatting. It's all better now, and I don't think anything was cut, so I'm toodling along and will return to my original formatting once I'm done with this last proofing. Which should be in a couple days.

I noticed I used the same last name for a couple different people and don't want that. I'm having enough fun with the Eamonnn/Eammon situation. Eamonn is Brendan's older brother, who's injured in the attack on the People's Democracy march at Burntollet Bridge.

Eammon is a friend of Brendan's I consistently refer to as wee Eammon. He's the exact opposite of Brendan's brother -- small, red-haired, looking like a leprechaun, and sickly. I like the contrast.

I do like how I've woven in events as they happen throughout the story, so far. Brendan refers to them or hears about them, so he's not everywhere. Sometimes he even admits to a bit of hooliganism, like in being part of the crowd that burned down a few buildings in July 1969.

But for the most part he's not much involved in the actions. His focus is still making what money he can off his repairs and helping his family in his own way. Like making a garden hutch over into a home for Mairead when she marries Tur Devlin and they have a child. And he's not unfair; because a neighbor let his family stay with them after their old home was trashed, he does some work for her, for free.

My hope is I'm building a human being for people to relate to, not a character or saint or flawed hero but a boy living his life as best he can in impossible circumstances.

No comments: