Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, October 17, 2023

I HATE PCs...

On this long plane ride back and forth to Seattle, I tried to do a final pass-through on APoS-Derry to check for mistakes, this time on the company PC. It shows up a bit differently, in Word, and that helps me see errors.

Of course, there's no room to use a mouse so had to rely on the trackpad. I made sure it's at the least sensitive setting and proceeded to work...

And that motherfucking POS did everything it could to screw me over. It would highlight words and sentences even when I did not want it to. The cursor would not set where I wanted it. It fucked up part of my formatting and I have no idea how, so I have to reformat the entire text to make sure it's right...and complete. Because the page count is down by 20, even though the word count is the same while I did nothing to shift the margins or font size.

Seriously -- if I even so much as held my hand over the trackpad, it would think I wanted it to do something...and would do it. Like scroll down a page without so much as a query, and so fast I'd get lost. I got halfway through before giving up. It was that or have a coronary. 

My new laptop's not due in till next week, and I cannot wait for it. I'm getting a stylus and pad to work with it, as well as a mouse, and PCs can eat shit, for all I care.

So on the trip back...on a JetBlue redeye that was running late...I watched Casablanca and Singin' in the Rain instead of working or trying to sleep. I cannot sleep on a plane. Too many people around. I can't even sleep in a room that has someone else in it. So even though I've seen both movies a dozen times, I enjoyed them, again.

But then I found a documentary -- John Wayne Gacy: Devil in Disguise -- being offered through Peacock. I watched some of it and now feel a deep dark interest to watch the full thing. It's six episodes and JB only had three, available, but it's another fucking subscription service. No way.

No comments: