Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Slow-going...

Looks like my trip to NYC the middle of November is going to be extended. Still waiting on final word from the client, but it means an additional 3 days in the city...well, in Newark. Need to finish working out the costing for it and see how that fits in with the clients preferences. I know the shop this is for and expect there will be no issue with costs; it's just getting some questions answered--that's the hard part.

Dug through more of APoS and only two additional typos found. Another missing "." and a missing apostrophe. Things like that are so easy to miss in a regular font but jump out at you in the larger. I'm finally at the point where this proofing is just part of the deal. I'm not pushing it. It's in the service of the final book. And I am going through it, again, to be sure, once this pass is done.

I'm also finding I am comfortable with 95% of what I've written. I'd made a couple of changes and edits, here and there to add to clarity, but overall it reads nicely. Smoothly. And it's helped that I've removed so many ellipses from the text.

I'm reminded of how I used to put a period after an em-dash, and sometimes a comma before. It was very 19th Century English and people commented on it. Strunk &White helped me on that. I'm also prone to using commas like a Victorian writer, which is no longer necessary.

Now the main deal is having paragraphs that go too long. Apparently, today's readers' attention spans are unable to drive through more than 6 lines of wordage before zoning out. It also interferes with speed readers. God, I wonder how they handle Faulker or Joyce?

At least I'm able to adapt and find a comfortable way of following today's guidelines without becoming slave to them. I have a very conversational style, and sometimes it runs on. But so long as it fits and makes sense, I'm good.

Unless I'm in a freak-out phase when nothing suits me.

No comments: