Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, October 3, 2023

No escaping the bastard things...

Typos. They are of the devil. Vile and diseased, with invisibility cloaks to hide themselves from you until you are fool enough to think you've conquered them and then it's all, Ha, ha, fooled you! Not once. Not twice. But, so far...9 times. And I'm only 25% through the text.

They're minor things. A period missing at the end of a sentence. A word not pluralized...or pluralized when it should not be. Another word that could be seen as meaning something in the vernacular but not what I intended, which I can't blame anyone for; I may have actually intended it when I wrote it but now don't think it was actually right in any way, form or fashion.

This is what happens when you increase the font size to double and go through your work step by step, taking breaks to keep from being caught up in it. I know it's human nature to fill in words automatically if you feel they should be there. For example: ...put it back where thought it went. Most would read that as ...put it back where I thought it went without realizing it. Because that's what the context suggests. But it still is a mistake and needs to be corrected.

Swear to God, finding mistakes like that in the middle of a paragraph sends me into cringes of horror. Three different people have proofed this thing, besides me, and none of them caught those typos. Only my anal assholiness is what's bringing them to my attention.

Now I feel the need to go through it, again, after I'm done this time and it's sat a month, and verify I caught them all...knowing I probably have not.

How the hell do major writers avoid this nonsense?

No comments: