Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Gary Meikle...

I did something I haven't done since I first moved to LA -- I went to see a comedian, live. In a venue that claimed to be a comedy club but was really not all that great. Helium Comedy Club. I was looking for dinner and a show...and couldn't get in.

Which made no sense to me. On their website, you can make dinner reservations for 5:30, 5:45 and 6 pm. I made mine for 6. Got there at 5:55 because in the stadium next door to the place was a high school graduation so travel was shit.

But I got a spot right across from the main door and hopped on over...and everything was locked and no lights on. I tried calling and only got voicemail. At 6:01, someone opened the door and let me in...and they weren't completely done setting up. They do not open till 6. Irritating.

I sat down and had a decent burger and fries, and a Heineken 0.0 non alcoholic beer, which is damn good. And my waiter was adorable in a slim, quiet way.

Finally, the box office opened and I got my ticket, then at 7:35 I was let into the auditorium and taken to my table right next to stage right and almost behind the comedian. There was an opening act that was not ready for primetime, then on came Gary. 

I started following him when I saw this video online. He's Glaswegian, aggressively heterosexual, a single father at 17, a grandfather at 40, and he can get very raw. But he's fun to watch and my bet is many in the audience didn't get half of what he was saying, much of the time.

There were only about 40 of us in the crowd, but we enjoyed it. He tried out some new material on us for about an hour. Then I came home because I wasn't feeling well. Old man issues and a bit of depression. The job in San Jose just expanded by a day and I'm not looking forward to it.

I just wish I didn't need the money so damn much...he says after spending $80 for the night. Gag.

No comments: