Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Shorter?

I'm getting the feeling Home Not Home is going to be the shortest of the volumes. I just cannot see it reaching even 120,000 words, let alone 140K. Right now I'm working on the story Brendan's father is recorded telling. I'm using the old legend of harpies that live in the Cliffs of Moher, which was the basis for two of my horror screenplays, Darian's Point and Return to Darian's Point.

Both had done well in competitions, but the closest I ever came to selling a script was with the first one...and I'm glad it didn't go through. I might well have gone crazy if they'd changed it or ruined it, in any way...and the more I see of Hollywood, the more I'm sorry I wasted so much time there. I would never have fit in.

It was my first real screenplay, and is still very close to me. I've begun writing the beginning of the myth about the Dagda, the father of the ancient Celtic Gods, who'd washed away his sins in the waves that crashed into the base of the Cliffs. But there's a lot left to do on it.

DP and RDP are fully fleshed out as scripts, so I could shift them into novel form. It's on my list of stories to write. So many stories to write, and me such a slow writer.

Okay, we're backing away from that thought, right now. I do not need to trigger my self-flagellation, again.

No comments: