A Place of Safety - Derry / New World For Old / Home Not Home

A Place of Safety - Derry / New World For Old / Home Not Home
All three volumes are available in hardcover, paperback and ebook!

Saturday, August 22, 2026

Staying in Buffalo...

Today I built the boxes into Gaylord containers, on pallets, and it was work. The storage boxes are 10" deep and I stack them up three level, but the Gaylords are 36" deep and I don't want to deal with having to fill the blank space...so I cut them down. They're heavy-duty double-walled cardboard which was not easy to adjust. Between that and maneuvering everything into place, I think I sweated off 10 pounds.

I actually drank water. I don't usually drink water. My fluids come from DPZ and tea. But today, I polished off a bottle of SmartWater.

At least it all got done before noon, and it was only 96 degrees out. Hence my determination to stick with Buffalo and its much milder summers. Little Rock reminded me too damn much of Houston heat and humidity, something I never liked.

Something else? I am not at all impressed with the selection of food in this town. I found a deli...that was like a light shorthand version of Cantor's...and they couldn't work out how to make a regular Reuben a Turkey one. So I got a BLT that was small but tasty and a cup of broccoli cheese soup that they said was made from a veggie base.

I'm still not thinking about writing anything. I continued reading Asimov's book when I got back to the hotel and nuked a light dinner and am very relaxed. Took another nap in that recliner.

Tomorrow I head home on a 3pm flight, by way of Denver. I'll decide what next to do once I'm back in my abode. This job went far smoother than I expected...but it still wore me out. I'm just too old to keep doing this.

I hate saying that...

No comments: