Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, February 11, 2022

Another draft...and then another...

I don't even begin to understand how anyone can churn out a book in even six months, let alone in half that time. But according to some of the facebook writing groups I belong to, that's what people do. Granted, Earl Stanley Gardner did that with his Perry Mason series, but after you read a few of his books, you realize it's the same basic story with minimal changes and a new killer.

Me? I have to work out the story as I'm writing and hope it comes together, then rewrite it a dozen times for it to make sense. Like Carli's Kills...a simple little story about female revenge against male scum is taking up so damn much of my time to make right because the characters are demanding it. And I can't say no to them.

I'm a third of the way through this draft and can already sense a couple more will follow. But it's got so much going on, it's hard to keep track of. Carli killing a young woman for setting in motion events that drove her daughter to suicide. Then going after the men who raped the girl. Then connecting with one man who may or may not be part of what happened. As Zeke also deals with a growing sense of doom around him. And fights to maintain balance in his life as he tries to figure out how he can get the hell away. And Eldora, the sheriff, who helped the rapists get away with it partly because the district attorney refused to press charges and partly because she's getting bribes but also because it's a way to keep the gang in control. 

I'm cutting moments on this draft but only because they're repetitious or overly-emphatic...not to simplify the story or streamline it. Clarity is important, but so are the details and backgrounds and being in each character's head as they deal with the growing catastrophe around them. All while trying to make it seem real and maintain consistency.

Christ, Stephen King I ain't...

It's moments like this I wish I'd stayed an artist instead of shifting to writing...

No comments: