Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, February 2, 2022

As expected...

My direct flight to LA was canceled, as halfway expected, so I'm on a flight the next day, changing planes in JFK. And it took me a solid 3 hours to get JetBlue to let me choose a seat. I didn't want to get to the airport and be assigned a window or center one. But it's set...so long as they don't screw this up, too.

I played it safe and set up a flight for Saturday, on Southwest, using points. Just in case. And I'm not canceling till I'm actually in LA.

So I've got yet another draft done on CK...this an official 3rd. 395 pages; 83,050 words. Now I can print it up tomorrow, at my leisure, and get it ready for editing as well as draft 4. This has become a kinky, sexy, scary, weird story. Just to give you a hint of how it's going...this is how Grady winds up in the middle of the desert...before he's killed.

I also feel like the ending is a bit too sudden, but I'm not sure how to get around that without a lot of nonsense and padding. That's something that bothers the shit out of me in books and films. Unnecessary actions that either make no sense, make the character appear stupid or are gratuitously thrown in just to fill 10 episodes. It's sloppy and lazy...so I'm wondering if I'm being just as bad by not figuring out a better, stronger ending?

I'm not a fast writer, having to go over and over and over my work to make it even presentable. Hell, there are still aspects of CK that need adjusting and adding in, to cover everything. I don't know how others can churn out 3-6 books a year; it's way beyond my ken.

I'm doing good to have 1 a year.

No comments: