Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, February 20, 2022

Here we go, again...

Carli's Kills just blew up on me, and I'm currently trying to make certain I'm not falling into one of my moralistic attitudes with it. In this version, she wouldn't kill any of the guys...just Stasi, at the beginning. But she does take revenge by hurting them in a way most men will hate, but doesn't necessarily lead to death. It sounds like a good idea...but it also sounds like I'm slipping into careful territory, and that's not what I want.

So I'm taking a bit of time off from the story to let this thing wander through me before I begin rewriting. I've had occasion before, where I get into overhauling a story with a new idea that would make things a hundred times better only to realize it's bullshit and the characters are fucking with me. Meaning I'm leaving them to it to make certain I'm not going to waste time, again. Because this would be like redoing half of what I've already written.

However...it might clear up some of the trouble I'm having with the story. The timeframe and doing a dance to keep Zeke from figuring out Carli's a killer. I want him nice and sweet and innocent, but not dumb. It's also entirely possible this will cut about 10,000 words out of the story, so I can avoid half of my tap dance with Eldora and Dax and all that crap.

I don't know why this is happening now, after I've put so much work in on it. I thought I was paying attention to what the characters wanted. But I watched an interview with Lucy Lawless about My Life is Murder, and she pointed out that it's a light, fun show with a bit of murder in it, then added there were plenty of dark crime series out there and she didn't want her show to be one of them. That we'd been through enough darkness, the last few years.

I could see her point. And if this turns out the way it's suggesting, it will still be very off the wall and funky; just not as dark or wicked as I was planning. I guess we'll see what happens.

But no matter what, Zeke will still be its heart and Carli its protagonist on a mission...though not necessarily one from God.

No comments: