Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, February 16, 2022

New digs...

Today I spent nearly 3 hours applying for...and getting...a new apartment in a Senior Housing building. 9th floor. Subsidized rent that will shave a couple hundred off what I currently pay. Moving in the first week of April. For this, I'm getting a new bed...full size...and furniture for a living room. Which pretty much wipes out my first year's savings but will give me a space to live like a person instead of an overgrown college student.

And...I get a view...albeit to the west. Meaning evening sun in the summer. Not promising for keeping cool. But it's time to move. I've been in this place for 12 years and it's okay enough...but I'm ready to move on.

The manager was running late, so while I was waiting I worked out a quick new outline for the ending scene in CK, to make it more intense. Better. Scarier. Shit, I dunno. Just not so flat and easy. I want it done before I move so I don't have to deal with that after I'm in. Then I can start back on APoS fresh and clear. I'm even getting an official desk instead of using a card table.

I'm also getting a storage facility for my boxes of papers. I have no need for those to be on-hand, anymore. And I'll be dropping my 323 cell phone. I'm never returning to live in LA, and it's money out for nothing.

I know I keep using images of Alex Minsky as Zeke to illustrate this blog, but he makes me happy. I follow him on Instagram and know he's found himself a good life...and that also inspires me. I think it's when I saw him in his new world with his dogs and wife and what looks like a toddler that I started backing away from killing him at the end of the book. That would be too bleak and nihilistic...

...And that's not what Zeke is about, to me, anymore.

No comments: