Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, February 21, 2022

It's official...

I'm reworking the middle of Carli's Kills. Dammit. But I like the off-beat aspect of a woman out for revenge who doesn't actually kill any of the guys. Just tortures them in very cruel ways. I may still have one die...but I won't know till I'm in the middle of it.

Won't be as huge of a rewrite as I feared; mainly just adjusting and shifting emphasis here and there...and removing some of Carli's doubts and self-reflection. Also, bringing back the razor blade I was having her use in place of a knife. I think that's actually scarier.

I also think I'm not going to have Lara commit suicide. She's emotionally damaged by the rape, but the video winds up causing a deep depression to the point of catatonia. Meaning I'll be working in moments between mother and non-responsive daughter. And grandmother.

And some of this back in. That's what I'm really missing...the men subjugated in ways that will really cause them the same turmoil as Lara went through. Less reason for Carli to slaughter the rapists and more reason to show them what rape really means.

The legal bullshit used to keep from doing anything about the rape remains, with lawyers protecting scum. And Eldora still holds back because she's on the take, from Dax. But more politics involved. And less wordsmithing to keep things going while still making sense. I'm aiming for a cleaner, colder, crueler line...with quips.

I think. I won't know if this is any better, really, until I write it.

No comments: