Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Back home and ready to get back to work...

After a hideous couple of days just trying to get to LA for the book fair in Pasadena, I made it, did the move-out of our clients, sorted everyone into the directions they needed to go and flew home on a red-eye, Monday night. Which took a lot out of me, overall. Especially since my car had a flat, which needed to be repaired, so I didn't get to my apartment till after noon and all but collapsed on my bed. My head did not catch up to my body until today.

I went into the office, handed over paperwork, got ready for Friday, when I'm to be back in...and then got some groceries and came home. I was not in the mood...no, I just wasn't able to focus on anything so wound up watching Witness For the Prosecution, again. One thing that is undeniable about Agatha Christie's work is her setups. She knows exactly how to use your certainty against you.

That's something I'm really trying to learn how to do with my work. I sort of come close, at times...but not to her level. Mix that with Billy Wilder's abilities regarding character and dialogue, it's a master class in writing for film. I've read the original short story it was all based on, and the play. Seen a couple of the remakes, none of which rose o this level. I especially disliked the newest one on Acorn TV. I understood the why of it but the execution was abysmal.

So tomorrow I get back onto CK and do all I can to make it better and unpredictable. I doubt I can get away with the latter part, but I can always improve my writing abilities. That never has been my greatest asset.

No comments: