Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, February 3, 2022

Printed and ready to edit

I printed up Carli's Kills to start my red-pen corrections when I get back from LA. I narrowed it down to just 300 pages and thought about bringing it with me, but it's over 2 lbs, so I'm not. I don't have a rolly-bag for travel, anymore, and my backpack is already pretty heavy. That and the gym-bag I'm using are enough to handle.

So I'm reading more about Northern Ireland, on this trip, and meeting with a couple of friends. If I get to go. I've had two flights cancel on me, so far. To be safe, I now have flights set up on both JetBlue and Southwest, all of which will be refundable. Well...will go into travel funds, once I cancel...whichever one it is.

I do like how CK turned out. My script version was big and dramatic and tragic at the end, with lots of meaning and tear-jerking scenes. Zeke died saving Carli, so she took on his dog, Loki, and set off to make amends with the world...after she killed Eldora. But once it shifted into book form, none of them liked that and it took me a while to find the way through for everyone to be happy with.

What I've finally enjoyed bout writing narrative in 3rd person omniscient is how I can dig into each character's meaning and intentions and feelings as I go along. Near the end, Zeke has a long bit where he's trying to decide if he wants to leave with Carli, even though he feels a lot of loyalty to Dax, the head of the gang. And Carli wanders into thinking about how much she misses being a sniper in Afghanistan, years ago. How God-like it was. How erotic it became to kill a man...and how Zeke was pulling her back to a semblance of normalcy.

She gets away with some serious shit, in this story. Dunno how that's going to play...but it doesn't matter. She is who she is. So I used the 3rd draft to apply for copyright, even though I'll have 2 more to do. It's now officially protected and has an ISBN assigned to it, too.

Very official...and serious...and will definitely make it into print, now.

No comments: