Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, July 25, 2022

47 more drafts to go

You may think I'm exaggerating, but that's how I write. I rework my work and rework it again and again and again until I'm sick of it then walk away, become un-sick of it and rework it some more. But...I like to think that means I turn out something good.

Each pass through the project adds and streamlines and clarifies...I hope. I really don't know. I just know inputting my red-pen draft is making for more adjustments in the story. What I've posted, so far, is now much changed but getting to be tighter and more clear. At least, it is in my own head. And it's breaking down into the usual components. First, second and third acts, with a major shift in the middle. For all the times I've bitched and moaned about the three-act structure, most of my writing falls neatly into it.

Not all...but most.

I'm considering a couple of possible images for the ebook's avatar, right now. I got both of them for a deal so could potentially use one for the first book and one for the second, if I decide to write it., I'm not guaranteeing anything, right now.

This is the one I'm leaning towards, right now...but with a bit more work to remove the rings under his eyes. Though I do like the haunted aspect of it. This bit of colorizing is what I did on my laptop. I'll make it closer to what I want in photoshop, with lettering.

Book One is now Blood Angel - The Turning, with chapter headings. Not sure how many I'll wind up with, yet, because I've already broken one chapter into two as I'm inputting.

On top of this, the story is turning out to be quite casually cruel...but also honest. Vampires feed on people, which is simple reality. The cutesy versions, like True Blood, and clever ones like Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, dance around this. I'm not going to. I'm taking my cues from Interview With the Vampire, where Lestat is an outright bastard.

Guess we'll see how far I go.

No comments: