Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, July 10, 2022

A Journey to Alexandria

Leonides is taken to Alexandria, Egypt to meet with the Oiym., now that he is a Blood Angel

-----

The journey to Alexandria was made in ten days. Our longboat was wide and sturdy, with two compartments for Nethys and myself to sleep as need be. I had never been more than a few leagues away from my village, but now to see the world! To travel on the ocean across bright blue water that rolled and danced around us. Sails unfurled and oarsmen working with inhuman strength. I slept as little as I could, for it was all too exciting. 

My favorite spot was at the prow of the ship, holding tight to the dragon carved into its beam, spending most of my time soaking wet and not caring. There were storms and rain and fog, here and there, but they only added to the joy of my experience. It was an odd dichotomy, but being undead made me feel more alive than I ever had, before. 

I left without a word to my parents. By the time I had crawled out from under the earth, they had found my cart, torn clothing and what was left of my dinner. They assumed I had been attacked and carried off by a wolf, which I would have laughed at had I been told such a ridiculous story. It had rained that night, so they used that to excuse there being no blood, but no remains? I was not a slim boy but a healthy young man. What wolf would even bother dragging my body? Still, I let them keep that story. It was the simplest way to go. 

The sea grew much calmer when we passed a towering cliff and into the Mediterranean. There was also a great deal more business on the water. Boats traveling everywhere. Cities huddled against shorelines. Gulls hovering in the air, hoping to find something to eat off us. Never had I been so filled with wonder. 

We did not land at Alexandria, herself, but at a pier some miles west, where a massive compound of walls enclosed houses surrounding a citadel that was at least four levels high. Odd-looking trees and shrubbery filled nearly every space, with sheep and goats grazing in pastures, close by. I saw no crops being grown, but noticed carts covered with cloths rolling up to the gates and massive numbers of jugs and bundles of grain being carried in from other ships on the pier. 

Nethys took my hand and a moment later we were atop the highest parapet of the citadel. I could look across all of Egypt to see fertile lands along a river she called the Nile and another massive city nestled near its tributary -- Cairo. Farther down it were tall triangular structures caught in the depths of sand, and little ships with tiny sails traversed the slow-flowing water. 

"This is paradise," whispered from me. 

Nethys smiled and said, "If you wish it to be. Come." 

Her simple comment brought me back to myself, and suddenly I sensed that others of our nature were close by. I followed her into a fine room of simple structure, where silk curtains flowed along walls and well-padded chairs sat in a semi-circle around a pair of similar chairs, one of which had someone seated in it. 

Gabrielle. 

I could not see her face, but I knew instantly she was my sister. Her manner of sitting was casual, as was her silk gown and the light amount of jewelry adorning her arms. A cloak of purple silk was draped over the back of the chair and flowed to the floor in so easy a manner as to suggest it was meant to stay there. 

I removed my cloak and sat in the open chair, casting her careful glances. It had been what? Ten years since I had seen her, last, yet still I recognized her perfect profile. Her calm demeanor that could so easily explode into fury. The raven hair flowing down her back and always so perfectly combed. 

I could think of nothing to say except, "Gabrielle." 

She did not look at me as she replied, "You certainly took your time, in coming." 

Nethys cast her a cool look as she took the center chair in the half-circle, saying, "Gabrielle, you were never in the ground. He was. For three days. Keep this in mind when you speak with him." 

My sister barely smiled, and it sent a chill through me. "You like him," she said in a manner far too calm. "Pity he will never be yours." 

I looked at Nethys. Watched her grow cold and tight as she leaned against an arm of the chair and shot Gabrielle a glare that would have frozen the world. "You will address me with the respect I am due," she said, her voice very-well-controlled. 

Gabrielle did not even blink. "I only made an observation." 

"Do not make one, again." 

"As you wish." 

But if my sister was still anything like she had been when I was growing up, she would not be doing what Nethys wanted. And if Nethys was as intelligent as she seemed, she knew it. 

At that particular moment, I was so glad I preferred the company of men to women.

No comments: