Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, July 8, 2022

Logjam

I'm working through the history of Blood Angel and not moving very fast or making much ground. I'll get into it but then it doesn't work so rework it...and then find the reworking isn't working. Head banging happens a lot, here.

The thing is, with all of this conglomerating in my brain I keep getting lost as to what's where, how and when, so have to stop and let it simmer down. I also dropped about 6 pages of work I'd done, so I'm back down to just under 18,000 words. Maybe just over 1/3 of the way through.

Something that did come together, at least, is Gabrielle, Léonidès' sister who is also a BA, is at a council of the 7 Oiym, the oldest ones or the first ones. Both she and he were turned by the same non-BA vampire in direct violation of protocol, so they've come to discuss what happened to them and help decide what to do about him.

Something I especially like is how Léon can sense the details behind the story someone is telling. Makes connections in an empathetic way. Can caress objects and their histories are revealed to him. There's also the fact that he hasn't seen his sister since he was 12, but remembers her being haughty and cold towards him, and she is still that way. However, that attitude helps make sure she doesn't take shit off anybody, not even the Oiym...though she does still manage to do it all with style and grace. And she backs Léon up at a critical moment.

I've got the Oiym all worked out, too, 4 women and 3 men, all once thought of as gods in Egypt after traveling there from Sumaria. Names are set, and descriptions. Their base of operations is a citadel/compound outside Alexandria, in Egypt, which was still a major seaport at the turn of the 12th Century, and they have many doúlos servants to assist them

I'm about to get into another part of the story that I hesitate to deal with. Leon has not yet determined never to feed on anyone who does not deserve it. He was lucky with the Viking, but now? At the Oiym's compound? They won't be taking from Alexandria's or Cairo's elite for their dinner; just the poor in the streets. But that's the reality of history -- creatures of the wild taking the weakest of their prey to kill.

Including Léon.

No comments: