Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, July 7, 2022

Snippet of Blood Angel

One interesting aspect that turned up in the story is that the Prior and his monks decide to kill Léonidès because he's a Blood Angel. If he is turned, that will anger the Oiym, who are the first BA's, so he is fed upon until death and then buried between two pear trees...only things don't go as planned....
--------
I drifted in nothingness. Pressed on all sides. Surrounded by cold and silence. My head, my face, my chin immobilized, no matter how hard I tried to move them. My entire body was caught in some way that prevented it. I was not afraid, for some reason; more like irritated. And saddened at how my mother would not like the loss even of the minimal clothing I had been wearing. She had often complained about how casual I was with everything I wore. Well. she would have no further cause to complain.

I did not like being held in place, like this, so I think I groaned and flexed my muscles and pushed against that which imprisoned me and it slowly...slowly shifted aside. My arms, first. Then my head. Then my legs. Stretching them out. Drawing them close. Feeling the glorious sensation of earth moving away from me as the sky appeared and the stars gleamed down and the air filled my lungs with beauty. 

I did not even begin to wonder at how I'd been able to breathe before my release. A moment later, I was seated under one of the pear trees, naked, my legs crossed, hunched over, filthy from dirt. Cold but not cold. Aware, but only in the most basic of animal terms. I knew someone was close by. I could hear their breathing. Could hear everything with a sudden clarity that was almost the height of pleasure. 

I felt no fear, none at all. I stretched and looked at my arms. They were mine. As were my legs, still strong and sturdy. And running my hands over my body told me that was me, as well. But everything was caked with mud, so I really did need a bath. 

"You will want soap and water," came a voice from my left. 

It did not scare or startle me. I only looked to find... 

A lady standing to my left, watching me. Her beauty was not of this world, with eyes like almonds in a heart-shaped face, hair raven black, skin like gold mixed with brown. She wore a gown and cloak of exquisite texture, with a single chain of silver around her elegant neck. 

"I wondered when you would return," she continued, her voice melodious and yet casual in tone. "It has been three days since you were planted. It rarely takes so long" 

I rose with ease. Flexed my muscles. Shook my legs. Drew in a deep breath. Then I asked, "Am I returned to this world as a flower come to bloom?" 

"After a fashion. Shall I bring you to your bath?" 

I nodded without hesitation. Which should have surprised me, but didn't. I had no acquaintance with this lady, but for some reason I neither feared her...nor really cared. So when she took my hand and drew me close, I let her. 

And then we were on the parapet of a fortress overlooking the sea. Waves dashed against rocks hundreds of feet below, and far across the water was the hint of another shore, which I could see despite the lack of even moonlight. 

I looked around. The fortress rambled about in an awkward circle...and in two places its walls had been brought down, seemingly more from poor construction than battle. Beyond, even in a night lit only by stars, I found an open meadow stretched over light rolling hills for at least a league, and beyond that was forest. 

"Come inside," the lady said. "The water is hot. The soap is pleasant." 

I realized I was still naked. I followed her into a room where a basin sat in its center, steam rising from the water in it. To my left, a fire boiled more in a kettle. To my right stood a man and woman, both handsome in a very Saxon way, her with cloths for washing, him with fresh clothing. I still was not surprised. 

I slipped into the water. Submerged myself in it. Let its warmth course through me. Then rose, wiping my hair from my face. Feeling mud trickle down my skin. The woman handed me soap and a cloth, and I used them to wash every part of my body. Again. And yet, again. 

When I was done, the water was as dark as the earth. I stood and the man poured ladles of hot water over me, then the woman offered me a sheet to dry myself. I did so, as the man brought me breeches, a tunic, leggings and fine boots, topped off with a belt and a burgundy cloak fastened by a golden hook. Once dressed, I felt almost regal. 

"You must feed," the lady said. "Before the sun has risen." 

I sensed a meal was close by and smiled at her, saying, "I am rather hungry." 

She nodded to the man and he went to a door, opened it, and two more men similar in looks to him carried in a strong but well-bound man with dark wild hair, thick beard, and a tunic plainer than even the one I worked in. A thick leather belt was clasped about his waist and his boots were not tall and were also made of leather.

"A Viking marauder?" I asked. 

The lady nodded. "He escaped the assault by your monks on his party. His vessel is dashed against the rocks, below. All but eight of his friends now reside in Valhalla." 

"Where are the rest?" 

"In the monastery, awaiting their turn to enter the land of their gods." 

"Like cattle or sheep."

"Of a sort." 

"May I have him cleaned, first?" 

She gave me a quizzical look. "Do you want to do more than feed?" 

"No. But I prefer to enjoy my meal." 

I honestly had no idea why I said that, or what I was planning to do with this man. He wasn't much older than I, but he was beefier and cursing me in a language I'd never heard before. Still, none of that really mattered. My only thought was, I do not like his beard.

No comments: