Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, July 2, 2022

Recalibrating

I've reached the point in the story where I need a list of characters and who they are. I don't have a huge number, yet, but it's starting to build. I also need locations. Especially since I started work on the modern-day section of the story, where Gabrielle asks Leon for help and it leads to a massive confrontation.

While doing this, I calculated how much I've done, so far, and I'm at a total of 256 pages and 55,362 words. That's going to shift a lot once I get the story and characters down and do my conforming edit. Make sure everything fits and no contradictions. But that's a lot in just a month. I could have done my own NaNoWriMo competition.

I'm still working on the specifics of how the Blood Angels work. How often do they feed? Does sex add to their nourishment? Or is it just a torture toy for Gabrielle and a method of connection for Leon? When did they start? I've introduced one old Blood Angel, Nethys, who keeps Leon from committing the unforgivable sin amongst vampires -- killing another. But she also suggests they have a way of having vampires killed so...gotta figure that in, as well.

I doubt I'm even 20% done with this story, but I'm going to push it. If I can get it together by the end of August, I can upload it to Ingram for free. Save me $49. But I'll need a kick-ass cover. I'm also still thinking of issuing it in 7 volumes, then maybe do a box set, later, instead of the full book. I don't know. 

I read an interesting twitter thread about the anti-Semitic origins of Bram Stoker's version of Dracula and don't want to imitate that, at all. I was close to making Dmitriy Jewish but it just won't do. In fact, I added a bit where Gabrielle is a bit anti-Semitic, which Leon doesn't understand since they never even met someone Jewish before they were turned and not until centuries later.

Jeez...it's just getting more and more complicated.

No comments: