Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, September 22, 2023

Anarchy


I read an interesting article in the April 2023 edition of The Atlantic called The New Anarchy. It's about the growth of extremist violence in America and how it's not the first time we've been through this. It's got me thinking about things Brendan says in volume 3 of A Place of Safety and how they might be a bit too on-point...and yet not specific enough. Worth a look. It's scary.

What's happening in the US is somewhat similar to what happened in Northern Ireland, where a majority population kept a minority population down through violence and manipulations of the law. Then when Civil Rights came along to demand equality, which the majority rejected, the minority was not willing to back down. Violence grew and expanded and finally exploded...and it took 30 years for the two sides to finally come together and calm things down.

Thirty years and thousands of deaths, not to mention destruction. All because those in power stupidly thought if you keep punching someone they will never hit back. And if they do start returning the punches, then punching harder will show them who's boss. When the exact opposite is true. No one in power learns. No one.

I've just about had enough of this laptop. I've decided I'm going to buy a Mac mini, keyboard, monitor and mouse, since I do my writing at my desk, now. I'll have to license Word and Photoshop, but my current Photoshop setup isn't really workable, anymore. It's officially 20 years old. but the wayI'm having to set up the laptop and the desktop I currently have is causing pains in my neck and right shoulder, and I'm done. It'll be around $2000 but I have the credit available and I'm going to use it.

Make more room on my desk.

No comments: