Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Matter of opinion...and style...

I'm about halfway through the more detailed proofing and feedback of APoS-Derry and find that maybe a quarter of their suggestions are to change the style of what I've written. For example, they do NOT like my use of ellipses. And truth is, neither do I, anymore. I was doing it to indicate a pause in Brenda's telling, or to indicate he might have more to say but doesn't. But during this go-through, many of them seemed to stop the reading. So I'm removing probably 80% of them.

They also say that no paragraph should be more than 6 lines long. Which is fine as a basic rule of thumb but not an absolute. I have several occasions where Brendan's thoughts are strung together, or his description of actions needs a long, long paragraph to keep the rhythm going, so on some of the occasions where they suggested a break, I've ignored that.

What's fun is, I've found six typos they missed. Difficult ones that wouldn't have been noticed by spell-check or any English grammar program. I just happened to see them. So once this is done, I'm going back through the story with the type pumped up to 24 point and checking it that way.

Of course, there are also words they think are misspelled or improperly used that actually aren't; I'm approximating Brendan's manner of speech, to an extent, so some don't get changed. But a couple of inconsistencies they noticed do get paid special attention to.

I'm not missing the beer or wine, yet. I'm still waiting on one last set of feedback so it may be best to hold off till then. I'll be done with this set, tomorrow.

Since I was in such a state, last night, I signed up for BritBox, again, and watched the David Suchet version of Agatha Christie's Hallowe'en Party. Some pretty big changes in it, especially at the end, but it followed the basic story...for the most part. Still, not the smoothest adaptation and only adequately directed.

But that said, Suchet is the best Poirot.

No comments: