Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, September 15, 2023

Shit, shit, shit...

Spoke with the IRS for nearly an hour and figured out the issue. After I paid all my taxes off, last year, someone redid my return for 2020 and decided I owed $280 more. Notices were sent to my old address after my forwarding order expired, so were returned. No idea why they weren't posted on my online account. So with penalties, fees and interest, I owed over $380 and had two choices -- get a lawyer and fight over the extra $100 or pay it. I took money out of my savings and paid it.

I thought the IRS was supposed to go after millionaires for not paying their taxes, not people on Social Security. My mistake.

So I'm in a mood.

Here are some photos of the trip I took to Fort Niagara and a link to the video I shot of the lad demonstrating that awful gun.

Walking to the entrance
An actual drawbridge at The Gate of Five, in honor of the Five Nations of the Iroquois Confederacy.
The inner mechanics
The cannon platform, built by the British when they took over the fort.
Them cannons was like this...
...and this....the Dauphine Battery. That's Canada across the river.
Called the French Castle, it was build in 1726 and is the oldest building in the fort.
An original map
View of the French Castle and Canada, from the North Redoubt.

To the right is Toronto's city skyline, just visible, and to the left you can barely make out the skyscrapers of Mississauga, where Pearson Airport is. It was a lovely day with a nice cool breeze. I almost talked myself into crossing over at Niagara Falls, for dinner. But I was tired and needed gas in the car so didn't.

Now I'm going to watch some British murder mysteries on Britbox and Acorn and let myself process how, every time I think I'm doing all right, something comes along to kick me in the gut.

No comments: