Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Diminishing returns

Seems I'm running into more and more agents who are closed to submissions. I managed to get a few queries out, today, including one to a man who says he's interested in literary fiction, politics and history. I've continued to hone the letter to make it less and less talky, but can only go so far. Pretty soon, I'll be doing the publisher tango.

I heard from Martin Melaugh about using that photo, and they're reticent about it. Don't want it on the cover of a book that glorifies the Provisional IRA in any way. Had to be honest and let them know the first volume is about Brendan keeping away from that as much as possible. But he does have friends who join the group, and his older brother is deeply involved. And of course he interacts with them.

But he, himself, finds the IRA to be worthless and brutal. Just another version of the Constables and British. He even says at one point, to a friend when talking about how the Provos have taken over policing the Bogside area of Derry, "We've traded one devil for another." So we'll see what happens.

This is only if I can't set the book up with an agent and/or publisher. Of course, that's a long shot. I'm not so much unknown as a bit infamous and that might make people back away. Google my name and check out what the third listing is. Somewhat further down it gets into my fight with Amazon over being banned, once, but that was 12 years ago. Can't get much going on that, anymore.

Anyway, thank God it was Taco Tuesday. I needed that to get me through the day. I actually went out, found a Taco Bell and ordered 3 crispy Supremes then brought them home to have with one of my Shiner Bocks. Helped settle me...and fucking made me sleepy.

Old man me.

No comments: