Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, November 5, 2023

Closing in...

Okay, 2/3 of the way through this pass on APoS, and the way it's formatting I'm up to 348 pages. Looks like the final book will be around 360. I've done a bit more trimming and shifting of moments to better help the flow, so it's really turning into an 8th draft. Shit. Is there a clinical name for a writer who can't stop re-writing his work?

I like being back on standard time. DST has always thrown me off, and I hate how it was expanded some years ago for no good reason. But I woke up the morning feeling good, and it's been a good day. I wish they'd do away with the time change and keep it like this...but I'm hearing they may make Daylight Savings Time permanent and that is not pleasing to me.

Something I added to Brendan's character from mine is how I like the night. Day is okay, and if it's overcast I'm happy enough, but it's nighttime when I feel best. I like how the darkness minimizes the ugliness of things. I built that into Brendan and it makes him even less like the rest of his family. I think I know where this is heading, but it won't come together until book three, when he returns to Derry and learns more about his father. Feeling very positive about that, now.

Is there someplace in the world that stays on standard time, year round? I think I'd like to move there.

BTW, Remember, Remember the Fifth of November.

No comments: