Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, November 13, 2023

What a day...

The flight to NYC was nice and on time. Got my rental car without a hitch. Set Google Maps to take me to my location, up the Hudson Valley, through the no-tolls area...and the fucking thing took me through the Mid-Town Tunnel into Manhattan. $12 toll to go through the tunnel. And by the time I realized what was happening, it was too late to get off the freeway. In NYC, you have to plan your exits five miles in advance so you can get over in time to make them.

I still arrived early, so aimed to get some lunch at a Chilis...that was in a shopping mall where 3 of the 4 main entrances were under construction. Lots of signs saying We're open during construction. Great. How the hell do I get there without having to walk a mile? Only got an hour for lunch. I wound up at a Micky D's.

So...the job itself is in a storage facility and that turned out great. Still have a lot to do before the pickup, but I think I'll get through it okay. Six hours to do 12 boxes? I think so. But it is tiring. And then will come the drive back to JFK to drop the car and go to a hotel in mid-town Manhattan to get ready for the next job.

But flying in over the Hudson Valley and then Long Island Sound and Manhattan, I started feeling the wonder and magic I used to feel when I was traveling. It's a short flight so I didn't need to worry about needing to use the bathroom, so I got a window seat. I did used to love those. Looking out at the passing country or oceans far below.

Seems I still love this view...since I used it in part of APoS-Derry.

No comments: