Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, November 4, 2023

I'm gettin' old...

The job in LA went well. Finished early. Came home early. During my short stay managed to finish a pass through APoS for proofing...and a bit of rewriting. Started reformatting on the flight home, to prep for the hardcover book...and promptly found a typo that I'd missed. So anal little me had to start re-proofing as I rewrote and formatted.

I got in late, last night, had a grilled cheese for a very late dinner, slept for 8 solid hours and got back to work. I honestly do not remember having this much trouble on any of my other books. I reread a fair portion of A65 before sending it off to that competition and found one occasion where I'd doubled up on a word. That's it. And I didn't do 1/10 the proofing on that one as this.

I halfway wonder if part of the issue is that I've been working on it for so long, and done a lot of copy paste from one draft to another, and made copious drafts of moments then pasted them in so that I honestly just jumbled everything up. Or maybe it's just a case of my mental abilities declining as I slip into my sunset years. But reality is, the typos I'm finding are really easy to miss, like no period at the end of a sentence, or missing quotation marks.

Something I have not done is my backwards read, which would keep me from getting caught up in the rhythm of the story. But I don't think I could handle doing that for 139,000 words over 340 pages in a 6x9 format.

I have to admit, this has been a fight to keep going. But I want the book to be as perfect as possible, and my innate paranoia about typos is really working overtime in my fucked up head.

That said...the bit of rewriting I've done has improved it, I'm absolutely certain...and I caught a couple of boo-boos. Like when Brendan sees Joanna for the second time. They're outside Austin's, an expensive department store on Derry's Diamond square. He sees her and her friends go down to a Woolworth's on Ferryquay Street and follows them.

The way I described it, I'd had the girls crossing the square to go down the street, which would place the store on the wrong corner. So corrected that. Also removed a bit of repetition.

It's little things that will make or break this book.

No comments: