Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Driving me nuts...

Seems it's good to make certain you and the person whose books you're packing are working off the same list, when you're checking them off. And that the list you based all your projections on is accurate as to what's being packed. I thought the one I had was the right one. Nope. So instead of the projected 12 cartons I've got 17.

Of course, he's very old so one cannot be an asshole about it. No matter how much you want to be. And it doesn't help he just returned from 3 moths overseas, last week, so is still dealing with jet lag. Hell, just getting him to answer emails was a chore in and of itself. You just do what you can do. I'll still be done in time, but I am beat to hell...

So I had comfort food for dinner. There's a Whole Foods a block and a half from my hotel, and I devoured a nice serving of their broccoli cheese soup and a brick of cornbread. Very-very-vegetarian. And I sat in their dining area for nearly an hour just to let myself settle.

On a more important note, after a bit of time away from APoS-Derry I'm back to worrying about how it will be received. If I'm just fooling myself in thinking I told the story right. If the way Brendan moves through the times doesn't sound disingenuous. All the usual nonsense. And I know it's how he told me his life, but...

I had someone say that about the Bobby part of Bobby Carapisi...and it messed with me for a while. I told Bobby's story the way he wanted it, but he was a straight, married baseball player who was also a simple guy enjoying his life till he was raped. Writing his suicide was the hardest thing I'd ever written, at that point, and I thought I'd been honest about everything. Of course, reality is I only got that comment from one reader so I'm really blowing it out of proportion. But it still digs at me.

All I can say is, that will not going to stop me from moving forward.

No comments: