Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, November 24, 2023

What did I do today?

I honestly have no idea, except I dismantled by Mac Mini, answered emails, and watched an old episode of Midsomer Murders that I didn't really like. And by old, it was 2nd or 3rd season and written by someone out to get even for slights in boarding school. I cleared my recycling. Watered my plants. Made blueberry muffins with pecans. And the rest is just blank...like I went into auto-pilot.

Oh, I did get my LCCN from the Library of Congress, for APoS-Derry. That means when I do publish a hardcover copy of the book I have to send them a copy and it will be part of the LoC's collection. I'm quite pleased about that.

Thanksgiving is early, this year, so I keep thinking we're into December when we still have a week. And then I remember I'm leaving for LA a week from tomorrow...and may be there longer than I thought because another job popped up that I will need to deal with. Nothing major, just make sure bankers boxes are packed into a D Container for shipment across the country.

I've got several things I want to get done before Christmas, but cannot make myself face them, just yet. So I'm coasting along.

Aw, fuck it. I'll get everything done when it's done. I worry about self-imposed deadlines too much. The only thing I really have to do by a certain time is a sketch of our grandmother's house in San Antonio, for my sister in Aransas Pass.

We lived there a lot of our lives, off and on. Nana bought it in 1941, once she began work at the Nix hospital in the newborn nursery. She had to do it through a savings and loan because she was a divorced woman and no regular bank would deal with her, back then.

There was no fence, she had a mimosa tree in the yard by the driveway and an oleander bush under her front window. It was a cranky place on cedar stumps for a foundation that had to be reset every 5 years, and was painted white with dark gray shingles. She sold it when she realized her cancer was inoperable and incurable, and passed away not three months later.

But that's what sister-san wants for Christmas. Shit...I don't even have Christmas cards, yet...

No comments: