Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, November 10, 2023

Typically brilliant on my part

I'm so smart, I think. I set up APoS' cover template from Ingram based on 360 pages...but when I got done reformatting it, completely, including hearer and page numbers and all the attendant nonsense, it would up at 346 pages in a 6x9 format. BUT...also is now, officially 140,000+ words. Which includes the bio and ToC and copyright information.

Fortunately, when I sent in the new details, it didn't make a difference in the spine width since this is in hardcover. All the measurements are the same. Thank God. I did not want to have to go through all that shit, again, because I like how this cover image turned out. Might be a bit too stark, but I'm getting feedback on it.

Something else I did during the formatting was make the text simply look good. No single words in the left border or on the following page. Consistency in font. Making sure there's no page number or header on the chapter's first page. It's amazing how involving that can be.

And how I still have issues with Word fucking around with me. I set up each chapter as its own section. So when I get done with one chapter's heading, I tell the header and footer not to continue from the previous section so I can make the pages number right and the headers do what I want. But on several occasions, it changed the page numbering on the previous section and I'd have to go back in and redo it.

It was a lot of work. Just like in my earlier version of Word. I guess I should take a course in the damn program, like I should with Adobe Ps. Learn a whole new language or something. I used to be able to speak French and okay Spanish. Maybe I'll do that, too. Really fry what brain I have left.

Anyway, it's close to being exactly right, now.

No comments: