Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, April 15, 2022

Back to work on CK

Today was spent inputting corrections to typos that were pointed out by my editor as well as making notes on what I'm going to change and reworking the ending with an idea I had, just to see how it reads once I get to it. Carli's got a knife hidden in her pants, and it needs to be used.

This is all going onto draft six, with a polish to follow, at the very least. There were also a couple of points where my editor felt Carli veered from being a woman into too much like a gay man...and she was right. I don't want her to become a male character who's just presented as a female. 

But so far the consensus is, the story pretty much works. Another woman I know read it and gave me good feedback. I've got a couple of guys reading it, as well, but it doesn't look like I'm getting anything back from them too soon. One's having computer issues and the other is on radio silence.

I'm working Monday and Tuesday, next week, so want to get through this ASAP. I need to know the number of pages it will wind up as, in 5.5x8.5" format, so I can get the template for the paperback cover and dig into that. 

One issue that's come up is my inconsistent wifi. I stayed with Verizon in the move and upgraded to 300/300 speed, as is required by the building...but since doing so, I keep getting dumped 4-5 times a day. I have to shut down and reboot the router and fuck around till it decides to let me rejoin it. I don't know why. I've already spent hours on the phone with their tech people and we thought the problem was resolved, but it's not. I won't be able to call them, again, till Wednesday, now.

If we cannot get this resolved, I'll have to figure something else out. I've become reliant on steady service.

No comments: