Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Still no WiFi...

Having to use my phone's Hot Spot isn't optimal. This time there were two technicians and they couldn't figure out where the wire was to the box that's in my closet, so now have to come back on Thursday. Didn't help they didn't arrive till close to 3pm and the maintenance people leave at 3:30. Everyone keeps telling me Verizon knows this building, but so far all I've seen is...they don't.

I went through the notes on CK and it's not a huge number of them, so I'm not as frantic about making it happen before my eyelid surgery. Right now, I'm having to redo the ebook of Rape in Holding Cell 6. Seems when I updated the avatar, that triggered an issue with the table of contents; Smashwords is claiming I set up one link wrong...8 years ago! But they won't tell me which, and I don't find anything wonky on my file of the book.

But they insist, so...I'm redoing the whole ToC, as well as a bit of cleaning up on my style. Just replacing everything that's in quotes with italicized words and removing some other crap that's very old-hat. No other text changes...well, except updating the books I have available and noting that this is the book where Antony meets Jake, as a prelude to The Vanishing of Owen Taylor.

I'm really irritated that this popped up right now, but I need to get it done because the book is awaiting the update. I'm more than halfway through the corrections, so the new linkage for the ToC should be done, Thursday. Then I'll dig into CK. Already have ideas on what to do to make it better.

One positive note...how the underlying theme of RIHC6 is how love is undying. Antony's first real love, Collier, is murdered, then Jake comes along...but doesn't replace him or supplant him, but finds his own space to be with Antony, making him whole, again. Everything Antony does in this book stems from his love of Collier and of Jake...in a warped sort of way. I like that. Of course, the non-con sex doesn't hurt.

My apartment is at the point where I should bring a few boxes of books and DVDs in from storage to see what else I need in the way of furniture. I'm thinking another bookshelf, a couple of wall tables and some kind of shelf over the toilet...but those are not a big rush. Ii've got a place to eat, a place to work, a place to sleep, my bulletin board up, and most of my books out...so I'm doing fine.

No comments: