Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, April 3, 2022

Major changes...

Today was spent packing my books and stuff into boxes to cart over to the new place, meaning I rearranged a shitload of dust and my eyes and nose are NOT happy. And that 's with me wearing a mask and using eye drops. Shit, you could have grown potatoes in some of that dust.

But...a day like this is helping me break away from various concepts I should not have. Like with my book, Bobby Carapisi. I'd initially offered it as another non-con erotica piece...but it's not. It's the story of three men and how each deals with sexual assault...two as victims, one as perpetrator.

Each character tells his own story in his own voice. That meant building three completely different methods of speaking and describing and seeing and word choices and everything for Eric, a gay waiter; Bobby, a rising baseball star; and Allen, a customer service rep who with two friends kidnapped and raped each of them.

Eric turns angry and self-destructive after it happens to him and he is dissed by the cops, the medical profession and the DA's office. And this is despite him having a supportive family. When he learns another man was raped, too, he sets in motion events that lead to tragedy.

Bobby refuses to face it; just wants to let it go...but because he's a minor celebrity, his refusal to talk sets nasty rumors going...from drug abuse to adultery to being a closet case. Even his wife questions his version of events, finally leading to his suicide.

Allen struts and brags about how he didn't rape either man but convinced them to be with him, claiming he acted alone...but bit by bit reveals he was in an abusive relationship with the real rapist, and is really taking full credit for the rapes as a way to assuage his guilt. He only starts revealing what actually happened because Eric is trying to atone for his part in Bobby's death and manipulates him into doing so.

Hardly sounds like a fun erotic read, does it...

So I'm shifting my plan for it. I took it out of my For Adults Only section on my site and put is on The Lyons' Den page. Complete opposites...comedy and tragedy...just like the world of drama demands. And will open it wider. I don't know why I haven't done this, before, because I'm proud of what I managed to do. It's not perfect...it could have used more humor to alleviate the darkness, but I do think it's honest.

No comments: