Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, April 29, 2022

Slowly rebounding...

Being a self-indulgent artist who considers himself a writer, I fell into one of my I just can't face this, right now modes. Or moods. Whichever. So I'm a bit behind schedule for CK. Didn't even look at it, yesterday or today. 

I'd forgotten how tired working full-time makes me, and I did a 40 hour week, this week. There were issues with transport companies and clients and all the attendant nonsense of shipments getting bumped or misrouted that caused a lot of scrambling to fix. The woman I work with did most of the scrambling while I handled her overload. She's one of those people who's got a stranglehold on keeping things straight in her head. That will never be me.

But at the end of the day, I'm still exhausted, mainly from the emotional toll of dealing with problems, so just could not shift my focus. I only expected to work 2 days, so stupidly figured I could use W-F to complete this polish of CK. But on top of this, I have a packing job coming up in mid-May, in Washington DC, and another probable one in the pipeline. Never assume you will have plenty of time when nearing your deadline, 

The book doesn't really need a lot of work. This is just a polish and keeping an eye out for typos. But it's still time-consuming. I'd wanted to be done with the paperback and have it off to Ingram tomorrow. Now it will be middle of next week, at the earliest, and that's if they don't need me to work on Monday.

I'd turn them down, but this move has put me deep in the red so I can't just shrug off the money. I'm getting surgery on my eyelids, Wednesday, so will have problems after that, as well. Story of my life, always on the edge, financially, and piss-poor at time management.

No comments: