Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, April 19, 2022

So comes the question...

How do I sell this book to people? It's got a female protagonist and the men are little more than assholes or sex objects, in it. Do women go for that? Does anyone? Am I writing a book that might sell nothing because it appeals to no one? I honestly don't know. I've never written anything like this, before...hell, never read anything like this.

I'm calling it a light summer read, with some erotica in it, but some of the sex is pretty heavily-inked with violence. The first time Carli and Zeke get together, it's almost like she's molesting him. Very dub-con. Will female readers go for that? Will any males? Could this even be considered female empowerment? Again, I honestly don't know.

I just know I'm liking the story as it's turned out, now. I love Zeke and his decency. Love Carli and her strength that's touched with uncertainty and anger...and a touch of psychosis. She's not lost in hate, not completely, and connecting with Zeke shows her a way out of it. BUT...she is a multiple killer. Our society demands punishment for that...in fiction. In reality, it's the opposite.

Except in TV shows. For example, Dexter got away with it by making their serial killer a man who kills serial killers. Kind of a cutesy premise, but it mitigated what he did. I tried to watch You, which had a book dealer as a serial killer...but aside from the creepiness of him also being a stalker, it was so full of stupid situations and occurrences, I couldn't keep going with it. 

I will admit to being fascinated by serial killers like Dean Corll, John Wayne Gacy and William Bonin, but mainly because I want to understand how they could rape and torture young men and boys. What is the fun in that? In Underground Guy, I have Devlin admit that while he sees himself as a hunter who takes what he wants, when he rapes a man, but he sees murder as a waste. Not because it's wrong but because he may want to have them, again. Which he does with one guy named Marvo, even though it's a mutual thing.

Well, I give Carli plenty of reason to do what she does, and I indicate she's aware of how, as a sniper, she grew to love the God-like aspect of it. Maybe that's part of the deal. I just wish I knew what the hell I was doing with the story.

No comments: