I know I shifted to writing screenplays and then books because it was cheaper than making movies. It certainly wasn't an overwhelming drive or need or passion or anything along those lines. Nor was I ever exceptional at it.
So the only thing I come back at the beginning to is how I happened onto Truffaut's book about Alfred Hitchcock and it included samples of his storyboards in the back...and I thought that was cool.
I found it in the basement of a book store/newsstand across the street from Frost Brothers, where I was working in the shipping department. They had their adult books tucked away in a partially enclosed corner and right next to it was a full shelf of books on film. I noticed it when I was about to sneak into the adult section.
This was in 1971, before I shifted to the display department. I was familiar with Hitchcock and liked finding out how he directed the film through his storyboards. After that, seemed it was up to his actors and crew to make it happen.
I'm fairly certain that's when I first started thinking about making movies could be a form of art. Of course, I knew nothing about the reality of the business; it all looked so easy.
And that could be the real reason I shifted...I was looking for the laziest way into it and thought I could make movies as my creative outlet.
God, I was so foolish, back then.


No comments:
Post a Comment