A Place of Safety - Derry / New World For Old / Home Not Home

A Place of Safety - Derry / New World For Old / Home Not Home
All three volumes are available in hardcover, paperback and ebook!

Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Slow going...

I'm circling back around MQM, thinking about it and considering shifts in it and changes I wasn't expecting to become part of this process. Now wondering if I'm restricting its structure too much. It's a book, not some holy writ about human existence. But that doesn't stop me from trying to make it so.

On top of that, I do not know why this story should matter to me or anyone. I don't understand the meaning behind it. I thought I did and felt it was timely...showing how a simple interaction between a cop and civilian could build into murder...but that has suddenly hit me as trite and piffling.

I'm sure a lot of this second guessing stems from what happened this weekend, and that feeds off my uncertainty about what the story is trying to say...but the reason Simon provided for it strikes me as absurd.

He thinks Chris and Ivan push forward with the case because he placed an ad in a gay semi-weekly asking to be contacted by anyone who'd been arrested or harassed by Officer Ivan Jensen. And he used his painting of Ivan under the street lamps to illustrate it. 

It's like it's embarrassed them or the see it as an attack on their heterosexuality, and the trial is their way to counter him. I don't know why they would think that would do a damn bit of good. Especially since no one responds to it...until after Simon's been killed.

Which seems too simplistic...yet exactly what I want.

Even though I don't know what I want. And if I did, I'd question it.

No comments: