A Place of Safety - Derry / New World For Old / Home Not Home

A Place of Safety - Derry / New World For Old / Home Not Home
All three volumes are available in hardcover, paperback and ebook!

Sunday, September 27, 2026

Don't give up...

I got my weekly minder back. I returned to WalMart, this morning, and searched everywhere I'd been in that store, but nothing. So I was at Customer Service leaving them my name and phone number when a guy walked up with it. Seems I'd actually left it in the electronics area and he'd found it. Now his shopping was done, he was turning it in.

Which brought up the Why didn't you go looking like this, yesterday? You'd have found it and not been so screwed up for the last 24 hours. Which is true. It had sat on a shelf by the mouse pads since Friday.

But sometimes I get locked into a thought and cannot get out of it till much later, as happened this time. I was so certain I'd had it when I checked out...until I finally remembered going to electronics and thought I should check there...at nearly 11pm, last night.

I know what matters is I have it back, but I'm still shaken...and I will never take it into any store ever again, by itself. I can't trust myself not to have this happen, again.

I may work this into Simon's story. I have him the same age as me with many of the same experiences, so it might help deepen his character even more. Maybe have him diagnosed as on the spectrum or having ADHD, neither of which were really looked for by doctors back in the middle of the last century.

When I was at Trinity University, there was a kid attending who was like a savant with the sciences and mathematics. But he took a photography class with me and he could not figure out how to focus the camera. All of his shots were fuzzy or off. Didn't matter how many times he was shown.

It was just the one semester; I think he had to take it as an elective. And at the time we just thought he was odd. Different. Not quite right in the head.

That was in '76 or '77. They didn't really come up with research showing Autism as a spectrum of issues until the early 80s, and it wasn't solidified until 10-12 years ago.

I sometimes wonder if I ought to get myself tested, because a lot of my existence is handled by coping mechanisms...

No comments: