A Place of Safety - Derry / New World For Old / Home Not Home

A Place of Safety - Derry / New World For Old / Home Not Home
All three volumes are available in hardcover, paperback and ebook!

Wednesday, September 9, 2026

What schedule?

Threw mine off, today. Not a in a bad way. I wound up working through 3 chapters of Taking Nicky and 2 chapters of MQM...and did not even try to list more of the books I have on my XLS. Instead, got a request for a quote to pack a difficult job in Oxford, UK and I really want to go. I've never been to Oxford.

Thing is, it's mostly one-sheets in mylar so would need to be shipped flat, not rolled, and I need to figure out how to do that using a packing materials company in the UK that thinks it's Uline but is nowhere near as capable. I futzed around with it a bit, today, but shoved it off till tomorrow.

Instead, I'm watching Harry Wild, on Acorn. That streaming group has been pretty hit and miss. For example, I disliked their adaptation of Witness for the Prosecution, hated the update they did of Towards Zero, and recently tried the first episode of The Assassin and was so sick of its stupidity I stopped 40 minutes in.

Which I don't usually do. But that one was like someone fed 100 action/comedy screenplays into ChatGPT and it spit out a script with every idiotic cliche in the book, including poor characterization, flat humor, and no connection to any form of reality, not even its own.

But...I did like Murder Before Evensong, they have the full Midsomer Murders series, Agatha Raisin and My Life is Murder, and Harry Wild is very enjoyable. Probably because Jane Seymour doesn't mind playing a true bitch...with a heart. And what they did with And Then There Were None was truly elegant.

Besides, Harry Wild is set in Dublin and I'm enjoying that, too.

Still this new chaotic mindset has brought out some ideas for MQM...like when Simon is killed. It was going to be during a rainstorm, all meaningful and dramatic. Lightning! Thunder! Heavy clouds! So fucking obvious.

But getting disgusted with The Assassin helped me see I was sort of doing the same thing. So I got the idea that maybe it happening during a gentle snowfall would be better. First snowfall of the year. None on the ground, just gentle flakes drifting down like bits of stars from above, comforting Simon as he drifts into another world.

I kind of like that...

(BTW, no clue was to why I can't upload an image to my blog, this time...)

No comments: