A Place of Safety - Derry / New World For Old / Home Not Home

A Place of Safety - Derry / New World For Old / Home Not Home
All three volumes are available in hardcover, paperback and ebook!

Thursday, September 3, 2026

More progress...

Okay, Chapter 5 is gone through and is 10 pages, though it could become 11. It's right at the edge. This part has Simon smoothing things over with the man whose books he's cataloguing and packing, and he's determined not to give in to what he considered little more than blackmail by the prosecutor's office.

I did go back into Chapter 4 to clarify a point and add a detail that would be good there. I also worked up a bit more description about where Simon has his run-in with Elissa. I'd just put foyer, but that means nothing, so now it's a corridor leading to the exit, and Elissa comes in and meets him, partway, to talk. But that's it. I doubt I'll need to do any more of that.

I'm now over 62,350 words so even though I'm cutting I'm also adding. For example, I expanded the meeting between Simon and the public defender, Franklin Granger, to emphasize how wary the man is about fighting the charge.

I already have nearly two-dozen named characters in this book, and probably more to come. But I can't just refer to people as Public Defender guy or Bank Clerk if they're going to be important in any way to the story. I won't do this for everyone, just the select few who warrant it, in my opinion.

I also input another row of books relating to APoS onto my spreadsheet. Now have 150+ over 5 shelves. Only have 10 more shelves to go. And I have 6 tabs set for the lists. Books on Ireland, Houston, Irish Fiction/NF, Dair's Window (which I may break down to Adam and Dair), general fiction, general non fiction.

That's proving to be a lot more work than I thought...

No comments: