A Place of Safety - Derry / New World For Old / Home Not Home

A Place of Safety - Derry / New World For Old / Home Not Home
All three volumes are available in hardcover, paperback and ebook!

Monday, September 21, 2026

Some more of MQM...

Simon is back home after Walstead gets the trial continued for two weeks...

------

Simon had just entered his apartment when ReShawn called and immediately launched into, “I am so sorry for what happened. But we’ve been working this appeal for months and...” 

Simon cut him off with a cool, “Did you get my message?” 

ReShawn hesitated then sighed. “Um...well, yes. I couldn’t believe it. A continuance for a misdemeanor is highly unusual. But it is scheduled in the system so...” 

“Have you looked over the evidence?” 

ReShawn finally noticed Simon’s quiet but cold attitude. “Not yet. I’ll go over it, this evening and talk with you, tomorrow.” Then added with a hint of petulance, “If you still want me to.” 

Simon had no interest in playing that game. “Will you be able to get a copy of the surveyor’s report?” 

“Didn’t you get one while you were here?” 

“Judge Falwell told Chris Walstead to send me a copy by noon, today, but he didn’t. So Judge Falwell allowed him to tomorrow, noon. And will probably delay the requirement, again. I’d like to get it direct.” 

“...I can contact the planning office, tomorrow.” 

“Please do. And send me a copy, if one does exist.” 

He heard ReShawn take a deep breath before saying, “Simon, you seem angry about my not being here, the last couple of days.” 

“And you are being defensive.” 

“I wouldn’t say that. I just want you to understand...the case we presented before the Supreme Court is vital to...” 

“I thought as much. Which is why I am still talking to you.” 

“Oh. Well...it’s just...” 

“Please. Stop. I haven’t asked for any justification on your part. Though perhaps I should verify...are you still open to consider defending me?” 

“...Yes.” 

“Very well. Then I want you to have all of the information possible before we discuss my illegal arrest, because you are obviously still uncertain about it.” 

“Simon...” 

“Anything we say or promise or claim now is unimportant until you’ve decided whether or not you believe my story. Have you anything else to add?” 

It took ReShawn a moment to finally say, “No.” 

“Then thank you for calling. I’ll speak with you, tomorrow.” 

Simon ended the call, set the phone on his desk, took three deep breaths to dispel the growing anger within him, and stepped onto his balcony. He knew he’d been more rude than usual, but he had heard too many excuses in his life to tolerate any more. Especially when it was obvious the one making that excuse was only doing so from manners and not an understanding they had done something wrong. 

If ReShawn had asked Teesha to inform him their meeting was canceled while he was en-route, he would have been able to reduce the stress he was experiencing by trying to be there on time. 

Of course, if he had come down the night before and spent money for an extra hotel night, he’d have been truly peevish. So ReShawn was lucky he hadn’t. 

But it seemed like that’s all people had, these days, was excuses they thought made everything all right, accompanied by what Simon called non-apologies. An I’m sorry followed by a but to mitigate what they’d done and throw it back on you. And then the perpetrator would repeat the actions they’d apologized for...and apologize, again. Meaning they hadn’t meant it. 

Doyle had been a master of that and Simon had accepted it far too many times. All he cared about with ReShawn was whether or not he and his firm would provide a defense, if need be. Everything else was superfluous...and the more they delayed that discussion, the more certain he was they would not help him.

No comments: