A Place of Safety - Derry / New World For Old / Home Not Home

A Place of Safety - Derry / New World For Old / Home Not Home
All three volumes are available in hardcover, paperback and ebook!

Sunday, September 6, 2026

Mistakes can make things better...

I was working on Chapter 8, today, and it was bland and tedious. The information in it needed to be brought out, sure, but it was still boring. 

It was of Simon pulling together his evidence to show Office Jansen lied about his arrest. That meant researching all over the place about Manville and Walstead, too.

But there was nothing being added in the way of meaning...I guess. It was just exposition, and I couldn't figure out what to do to make it interesting...or even work.

I grew tired so lay down for a short nap, that turned into 2.5 hours and got me dreaming about being at a banquet with people I knew but never knew and going into the kitchen to find a container to take some of the leftovers home...while talking with a woman about enchiladas, and who I think was flirting with me. I was digging through drawers of junk when I woke up.

And I was very down. Seriously apathetic. I'd skipped dinner but still was not the least bit hungry. And I was kicking myself for not setting a timer to keep from sleeping so long...

When it washed up on me. This was what Simon would be feeling after pulling together all the information he could and coming to believe it would make no difference. That cops and DAs have each others' backs and will gladly destroy someone innocent to protect themselves from accountability.

That was what I was missing. No progression in Simon's emotional state as he learns that Walstead and Jansen were friends at a high-end prep school. Both were also connected to a story about a guy arrested for the same offense Simon is accused of. Jansen busted him and Walstead handled the prosecution.

That man was let off despite evidence he may actually have been inappropriate with children. Which pointed out the rich in town had protected themselves by making sure their friends were in office.

So I added a page and a half of Simon fighting to keep from becoming despondent as this all becomes more and more apparent. He tries to convince himself to just take a deal and leave the town forever, but he can't. There's something in the core of his being that says No, it's not right. And he cannot get around it. 

All he can do is hope Walstead and Manville will see reason and step back...but he's not certain they are willing to.

No comments: